Monday, July 21, 2008

Teaching Nature Print Class

I have taught the Nature Print Class for Mr. Nobuo Sugino since he couldn't make it to the conference due to his engagements in Japan. I thought I better practice a lot when I found out that I had to teach this class for him. It was actually a lot of fun with nature print methods. All of the sudden, I looked at botanical materials with an additional dimension. Not only would I think about how a material presses, I also wanted to experiment with print. I really have to give credit to Nobuo for these creative ways using botanical materials. I enjoyed using the prints as backgrounds for my pictures too.

At the conference, I had 2 hours to direct everyone learning two techniques. It was a brand new experience for everyone. Very few people were making prints on the silk scarf. Most wanted to practice more on paper before they make an imprint on silk. I have heard from some now that they have enjoyed making beautiful scarves at home.

I am grateful to Nobuo demonstrated the technique to me back in Feb. I had some ideas about his techniques before from looking at pictures of his past demos. However, seeing the real thing was better than anything. And I had chances to ask questions too. Now, through the conference class, I have sow seeds of his techniques in the US, Canada, China, UK, and Nepal. I hope Mr. Sugino is happy with my performance teaching his class.

No comments: