Sunday, May 13, 2012

First Impression of Insadong, Seoul–2012 Vacation Part 2

It became dark by the time we got to the hotel in Insadong. I got sick again on the bus ride. Hmmm… I hate this motion sickness! I had to lay down after checking-in. Our friend took my husband to get medicine for me. I actually wasn’t that bad. I just needed a few minutes of rest and some water.

I got better by the time they came back. We went out to find food. Our friend has to go back to the airport to greet other friends from China. I said we should just find a noodle place for something simple. She took us to a small noodle restaurant. I love to have something with soup after a long flight. We ordered something without spices. It is not a good idea to eat spice hot stuff after a long trip. Our friend introduced us to Korean dumplings and rice cake soup and seafood noodle soup. Kimchee comes with meal. Orders are huge in size. 3 of us shared two large bowls of food. Kimchee is especially good. There is no comparison to the kimchee we have tasted in the US. Friend said that they don’t make other side dishes but kimchee in Korean noodle houses. If they don’t make good kimchee, no one would come. The Korean dumplings are very similar to large wonton from Northern China. Soup is cooked with pork bones. It is very tasty. I love the seafood noodle. There are shrimps, large squid, and small scallops. The noodle is freshly handmade.

IMG_0393[1]IMG_0394[1]IMG_0395[1]

Our friend quickly finished eating to hurry back to the airport picking up other friends from China. My husband and I took our time and then took a stroke outside. Insadong at night is busy. Every restaurant was full.

IMG_0396[1]IMG_0398[1]

IMG_0399[1]IMG_0401[1]

We received a call from our friend after we got back to the hotel room that China flight was cancelled due to pouring rain. They have to wait for the next fight in the morning. I would be the only one going to the Korean pressed flower club in the morning.

I came out of the hotel in the morning. Wow! I love this place. It is so Korean historical look. I did not notice the architectures at the night. It is so wonderful to look at in the day light. Every house is over 100 years old. I have to give Korean credits to maintain historical houses. This whole area is commercial yet they keep the houses’ original shape and without neon lights or large commercial signs. Every house is unique. Prices for food and other goods in this area is slightly higher than other places in Seoul. I personally think it is worthy the cost. And it is not ridiculously high either. I really enjoy this place. I am grateful for our Korean host picking this place and negotiated group rate for us.

I have been in Korea many years with a travel group from Hong Kong. I have visited many places but did not have a chance to observe how Koreans live. In Insadong, we have seen locals come to shop, walk, and eat as well as many tourists like us.

IMG_0908

People walking outside early in the morning are all locals.

IMG_0909

IMG_0910

IMG_0912

IMG_0913

This is the small hotel we stayed at.

There are many art galleries in Insadong. I would love to spend time to browse but we just don’t have enough time.

IMG_0916

No comments: