Monday, May 14, 2012

Korean Breakfast–2012 Vacation Part 3

Our friend took me to a 24 hour place for Korean breakfast next morning. OMG! There are so much food for a traditional breakfast. Pork Bone Bowl with potato and vegetable. There is a large bowl of rice and some side dishes come with the order.

IMG_0405[1]

I am so used to a cup of yogurt and a banana or a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I think two spoons of rice and these side dishes are enough for breakfast already. However, I want to experience the Korean way.

 

Our friend explains that young working people do not have luxury to eat breakfast like this anymore. There is just not enough time in the morning. They usually have soy milk and a sandwich or a rice wrap for breakfast. I later saw 7-11 shops carry breakfast like that.

IMG_0404[1]

The breakfast is so delicious! I love all the vegetables in the soup. I ended up finished the bowl but I just don’t have room for rice.

The next day after everyone arrived, we went back to the same restaurant for breakfast. I said there is no way for us to eat so much. We should share. We ordered several 4 people pots and just enough rice.

 

The pot looks very spicy but it is actually not that hot. It is just enough spice for my taste. A huge pot came. We need to wait for it to boil again to cook the vegetable.

IMG_1052

There are some Korean bean noodle and rice cake under mushroom.

IMG_1054

And then there are some herbs and vegetable underneath.

IMG_1055

There is pork bone and potato on the very bottom.

IMG_1056

There are friends from China and Russia. The restaurant does not have fork. Fortunately they have spoons. Russian friends had to use both hands to work the chopsticks. They were able to use chopsticks a few days later. 

Everyone loved the food. We had the luxury that day to take our time to experience breakfast the traditional Korean way. It was a good feeling.

I am very grateful for our friend Huayu. She was our translator and also took care of us every way. We would not have such good experiences in Korea without her. There are many places in Korea today having English and Chinese signs. However, most of the stores do not speak any foreign language. If we want to really experience Korea, it is not enough to go to places that can speak English or Chinese or both. I have joined tour to Korea before. We have visited many places in Korea. However, we have only seen places but not experienced Korea the Korean way. We only hurried from places to places. I actually love to spend a little time watching how other Koreans enjoy breakfast in such restaurant and taste the delicious food myself. The problem is there is only Korean on the menu. The owner only speaks Korean. We would never guess this kind of food is actually traditional breakfast. I would think it is lunch or dinner looking at pictures posted on the walls. Huayu asked her mother to take care of her 1-year old daughter and spent the whole time with us. I felt so bad but we all really depended on her. There is no words to describe my gratefulness. However, I still want to express my sincere thanks to Huayu here.

Thank you vey much, Huayu!

No comments: